The committee comprises at least six members with at least one member from each of the following constituencies, assuming eligible individuals are available to serve:
Recommended Permanent Members
- Asst. Director of Undergraduate Studies (permanent)
- Asst. Director for Graduate Education (permanent)
- Asst. Director and/or Director for the Iribe Initiative (permanent)
Other Eligible Members
- Teaching track faculty
- Assistant professors
- Associate professors
- Full professors
Members will serve for a renewable term of 3 years. To ensure continuity, at most half of non-permanent members may change in any given year. It is assumed that the committee will involve students when appropriate.
Committee members are appointed by the department chair.
The Diversity and Inclusion Committee will develop, implement, review concrete plans of action related to diversity and inclusion, including, but not limited to, the strategies outlined in the Department's Strategic Plan. The committee will report on its activities on a regular basis to the Chair, the department and the advisory board while regularly consulting with other permanent committees of the department.
The responsibilities of the Diversity and Inclusion Committee include:
- Collect, analyze, and report data related to diversity and departmental climate
- Provide guidance to department staff, faculty, and other stakeholders on how to improve the department climate with respect to diversity & inclusion, including supporting student success
- Promote awareness of the potential impact on diversity & inclusion of departmental initiatives and policies, including curriculum and instruction
- Assist departmental stakeholders and partners to ensure communication and outreach utilizes best practices for diversity & inclusion
To enable these activities, the Department chairperson support the Committee by:
- Ensuring the Committee is provided with or have access to relevant data and/or otherwise provided tools to collect said data
- Providing an opportunity to comment on how proposed changes in department policies and curriculum may impact issues around diversity and inclusion
- Ensuring that the processes for review and slate of candidates/applicants selected by the hiring and admissions committees and are regularly reviewed and approved by the Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
- Assisting the Committee in gaining cooperation from others to aid its initiatives